Selby Cricket Club were formed as Selby Londesborough in 1867 playing on land close to Selby Abbey owned by the Earl of Londesborough. They moved to their Sandhill Lane base in 1936 after playing on the ‘Bowling Green’ in the town. The club originally played in the West Riding League with the first team joining the York Senior League in 1965 and the second team in 1968. The first team remained in Division Two for most of the next 25 years, finally achieving promotion to Division One in 1989. In 1998 the club removed the name Londesborough from their title, but the club was not as successful following the introduction of the Premier Division, until in successive years, they won Division 3, Division 2, and in 2011 Division 1 and then played in the Premier Division in 2012 and 2013. The club have hosted several benefit matches over the years with games against Yorkshire and Derbyshire who both included several Test match players. The club also have a third team who play in the York Vale League. Outstanding players in recent years include John McHale, Ian Lake, Lee Wild, Darrell Guy, Alex Bowden and Matthew Hoyle. The club celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2017 and the highlight of the year was a match against the MCC at Sandhill Lane.
Accept cookies and close